Weight loss is the latest rage among fitness lovers. There are many fitness programs, different diets that are available to lose weight. The easiest and the most practical among them is Intermittent Fasting. It is gaining popularity among masses due to its endless benefits and easy to follow approach.
What is Intermittent Fasting?
Intermittent Fasting is following a fixed schedule of eating and fasting every day. The emphasis is not on “what” you eat but “when” you eat. This is not something which we have discovered or invented recently. We observe fasting as part of rituals in many religions. It is just that the benefits of it have been decoded just now if done on a regular basis. Intermittent Fasting has a positive effect on your body and mind and may even increase your life span.
How Intermittent Fasting is done?
There are numerous ways of doing an Intermittent Fasting. It simply involves dividing the day or week into eating and fasting intervals. You eat a healthy diet in the eating period and do not eat anything in the fasting period. The various approaches that you can follow are explained below:
- 16/8 Approach – It is the simplest and easiest to follow fasting method. In this method, you fast for 16 hours every day and take 2 to 3 meals in an 8-hour window. In simple terms, you don’t eat anything after dinner and skip your breakfast on a daily basis. You should refrain from having junk food or excessive food during the eating period. You should have plenty of water and can also drink tea or coffee during the fasting period.
- 5/2 Approach – Under this approach, you have a normal diet for 5 days of the week while limiting your food intake to 500 to 600 calories on two days. You can limit your intake of food on every Monday and Thursday or any other two days of your choice.
- Alternate Day Fasting – In this method, you fast on every alternate day with limited calorie intake.
Benefits of Intermittent Fasting
- It assists in weight loss.
- It protects you against type-2 diabetes.
- It reduces bad cholesterol and improves the functioning of the heart.
- There are studies which suggest it may prevent cancer.
- It aids the growth of nerve cells thereby improving brain health.
Life is all about maintaining balance. Intermittent fasting provides that balance in your life. It helps you follow a simpler and healthier lifestyle. It gives you more time to enjoy a healthy life.